Fraternities trying dry rush

Early, alcohol-free plan may satisfy administrators

Adapting to a comprehensive review and working under the watchful eyes of the University and Board of Trustees, the Greek system looks to remain autonomous.

The Interfraternity Council, fraternities’ student-led governance organization, has instituted two sharp changes to the fall rush recruitment process — moving it to the beginning of the school year and making it alcohol-free.

Greek leaders said they hope these changes will satisfy the University and Board of Trustees, which is conducting a study examining the benefits of deferring rush to the spring semester or beyond — ideas that have been met with opposition from fraternities.

“If one fraternity messes up in rush this semester, it messes it up for everyone,” said Davis Willingham, president of the UNC chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

Following the death of DKE president Courtland Smith last fall, the University began an investigation into the Greek system that led to the hiring of a special adviser — UNC alumnus and fraternity member Jordan Whichard — to investigate and present a report to the board.

Whichard presented his report to the board in the spring.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp said the University will look at the effectiveness of the IFC’s changes after the 14-day rush period — spanning from Aug. 20 to Sept. 2 — is finished, and then decide if action is needed.

Greek leaders and Crisp said the goal of the rush changes was to minimize the potential for academic and alcohol-related problems for fraternity members and students interested in rushing.

“In the past, the first few weeks haven’t been regulated. It’s kind of a free-for-all,” Willingham said. “And that’s not good for anyone.”

Crisp said he hoped the changes would also eliminate any pressure fraternities feel to conduct “underground rush.”

Before the changes, fraternity leaders said houses were permitted to have alcohol in the house but were prohibited from supplying it to recruits. This year, they said alcohol is not allowed to be present in the house during rush.

Willingham said the new rush period will avoid giving freshmen the perception that fraternity houses are just sources of free alcohol.

“It was setting a bad precedent. Alcohol was plentiful in a lot of places,” he said.

IFC President Tucker Piner said the earlier rush will likely end the pledging process before midterm exams, which might improve fraternity members’ grades.

Greek leaders said an incident-free rush is crucial in light of the board’s consideration of deferring rush.

“They like for all the problems to go away on their own, and that’s what we’re trying to do as well,” Piner said.

Willingham said none of the chapter presidents support a policy of deferred rush because it would eliminate the immediate support group the Greek system gives members from the beginning of the year.

Piner and Willingham said some members of the Greek system are upset about the earlier rush this year.

“A lot of guys want to do what they want to do. They don’t want to abide by these new rush rules,” Willingham said.

“What I’ve said to them is, ‘How has that worked for us in the past?’”