Locopops finds a home on UNC campus

Pops sold from a cart outside Lenoir

Locopops
Henry Wallace serves UNC senior Anna Hanlin a Locopop at the store on S. Elliot Rd. The Locopops store on Franklin St. recently closed in favor of a cart in the Pit on class days.

After little more than a year on Franklin Street, a sweet staple is exchanging its downtown doors for a more campus-friendly location.

Locopops officially closed its 128 E. Franklin St. store on Aug. 15 and has moved just outside of Lenoir Dining Hall, said Summer Bicknell, the owner of the local chain known for its handmade frozen treats.

Bicknell said Locopops has been working with Carolina Dining Services since late April to make the move a reality, and the cart opened for business at its new location on Friday.

“It’s kind of been in the works for years because we’ve had students who’ve requested we move on campus,” Bicknell said.

Locopops uses unique ingredients to create its custom-made pops, whose flavors range from mojito to strawberries and cream.

Scott Myers, the director of food and vending for dining services, said he and his colleagues have been interested in testing out cart business for a while. When Locopops contacted them, he said they seized the opportunity.

“The plan is to put it right out in front of Lenoir inside of the planter areas,” Myers said. “They’ll have a small cash register, and we’ve also ordered eqipment so they can utilize the One Card.”

Arrangements are being made to move the cart to Lenoir Mainstreet during inclement weather, but Bicknell said there aren’t any plans to keep the cart open during the winter months.

Senior Anna Hanlin said she usually goes to the small chain’s South Elliott Road location and only visited the Franklin Street store about once every two weeks. She said the cart is a great way to pull in more students.

“The cart on campus is a better idea than a permanent location on Franklin Street,” Hanlin said, “especially because there’s now a new frozen yogurt place that just opened up in addition to all the other ice cream places that are already there.”

Locopops’ Assistant Retail Manager Lauren Lickwar said the move to campus wasn’t spurred by financial troubles, and the Chapel Hill families that enjoy Locopops will still be able to visit the 231 S. Elliott Road location.

“We loved being on Franklin Street but we really felt like it was a great opportunity to get closer to the students, and sort of an honor,” Lickwar said. “We realized that being on campus was going to be a better situation for us.”

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide