Saturday, June 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Sparking racism discussion

Committee asks for honest essays

Stepping beyond the grassy campus landscape and onto the sidewalks of Chapel Hill, students encounter some of life’s ever-present realities.

Among the less talked-about — racism, discrimination and homelessness.

The Justice in Action Committee is seeking to change that, asking members of the University community to write freely about their experiences.

The committee is sponsoring its first writing competition, themed “How I helped build a community bridge.” The topic invites Chapel Hill and Carrboro residents to write about an experience in which they overcame prejudice or bridged divisions between people of different backgrounds.

Committee chairman Andre Wesson said he is aiming for participation from both Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools and UNC students.

“Youth have unique perspectives that relate how the past affects them today,” he said.

Submissions for the writing contest are due by Oct. 1 and will be judged in six different age and gender categories. Applicants can submit short monologues, stories, poems or songs.

To compile prizes for contest winners and seek more community involvement, committee member Maria De Bruyn said she enlisted the help of local businesses.

The Lumina Theatre, Trader Joe’s and The Loop have already donated prizes to the event, Bruyn said.

The committee, which works to promote racial, social and economic justice in the community, was established in 2005 with a different name.

The Continuing Concerns Committee, assembled by former Mayor Kevin Foy, discussed the renaming of Airport Road to Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Then, in 2007, the committee changed its name and adjusted its mission in hopes of more boldly addressing injustices in the community.

“Our biggest accomplishment is simply still existing,” Wesson said.

Wesson, a UNC alumni and an academic advising employee, said the group is planning an event on area homelessness and a follow-up community discussion with the Chapel Hill Police Department.

The meeting will revisit experiences, thoughts and advice offered by citizens in February meetings the group hosted between the public and the police.

Council member Penny Rich, the liaison between the town council and the committee, said the committee is energetic and talkative.

She said the committee discusses discrimination of all types, and ways to remedy the situations.

“Even though these are hard things to talk about, they’re bringing the issues of the day to the table,” Rich said.

Contact the City Editor

at citydesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide