A time for choosing: We can't hold Student Congress accountable if we don't take an active stake

A special election will be held online tomorrow to fill congressional seats for districts 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8. In the past, these elections have seen some pretty dismal turnouts.

But in order to have a say in their representatives, students must vote. For those in eligible districts, the first opportunity to do so is Tuesday. Students can vote easily, from anywhere with Internet access, by going to my.unc.edu and selecting the “Student Voting” link.

Congress is a very important aspect of the UNC community, and remains so whether or not students take an interest. Arguably, their most important job is to allocate funds fairly to the numerous campus organizations — a task they complete by using fees that students pay.

With an annual budget of $385,000 in addition to subsequent appropriations for organizations, it’s no small part in campus life that Congress plays.

It is sad that these elections are generally held with little participation. We lament it every year, but little changes. It goes without saying that students should be more involved in the school’s government, especially with a branch that affects so many people.

Congress is often criticized for having apathetic members. That two members were expelled last Wednesday for not attending the required number of meetings only enforces this.

But, frankly, considering the apathy of students toward congressional elections, there’s little surprise. The first step toward having the most active and effective Congress is an active and effective electorate. So it starts with us.

Everyone eligible should vote tomorrow. Information on the candidates and the election process can be found on the Board of Elections website.

Students need to ensure they get the most out of our leaders and the beginning of obtaining this is casting a simple vote tomorrow.