All up in your business: September 8, 2010

A monthly update on local businesses

The Princeton Review

The Princeton Review has a new location on 149 E. Franklin Street that will open within the next two weeks, said Brian Culbreth, executive director of operations for the Atlantic region.

The store, which will focus on programs for graduate students, holds its grand opening Sept. 28 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

“It’s easy access for those living on campus and downtown,” Culbreth said.

Culbreth said center’s two most popular courses are those in preparation for the Medical College and Law School admission tests.

The MCAT preparation classes, which cost $1,999, take place in 42 sessions totaling 105 hours.

The center offers both a 30-hour and an 80-hour course for the LSAT.

The shorter course costs $1,249, while the longer program costs $1,449.

The Princeton Review has had a presence in Chapel Hill for about 20 years, most recently at 1525 E. Franklin St., Culbreth said.

Modern Fossil

Modern Fossil, which held a grand opening in mid-August, is settling in to a new space on 103 W. Weaver St.

Located in the former space of relocated pet shop Phydeaux, Modern Fossil sells a mixture of furniture, clothing, jewelry and home accessories, said owner Elizabeth Wilkes.

“It took a while to get things up and running,” she said. “Business has been about what I expected because of the economy right now.”

The store features John Robshaw textiles, woven rugs made of old silk saris as well as vintage jewelry and purses, Wilkes said. The store also offers one-of-a-kind decorative pieces like antique furniture.

“I thought this type of store and the area would be a good combination,” she said.

Wilkes said she attends home and clothing shows in New York City to find eclectic pieces to sell at the store.

“It’s something I always wanted to do,” she said.

“Part of what I’m doing is to see where people are coming from.”

Top of the Hill brunch

Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery now serves all-you-can-eat brunch on Sundays.

The first brunch was served August 22 — move-in day for UNC, said Hallie Sessoms, event coordinator for the restaurant’s Great Room at 100 E. Franklin St.

The menu for the $14.99 brunch changes each week, but there are always omelet and waffle stations as well as salad, fruit and dessert bars, Sessoms said.

A make-your-own Bloody Mary bar rounds out the array of options.

Sessoms said house staff spends about three hours setting up on Sundays, while people working in the kitchen begin preparations a few days in advance. Brunch goes from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.

She said both locals and out-of-towners have responded well.

“We have gotten a lot of people after church, as well as students and parents,” she said.

“It’s a great way to reset the engine after partying the night before.”