After a 10-3 season, Virginia Tech hopes to showcase its strengths in its opening game against Boise State.

The matchup with the No. 3 Broncos will give coach Frank Beamer’s Hokies a chance to flaunt their offense and test their defense.

Quarterback Tyrod Taylor returns to lead a strong offense that averaged 32 points per game last season.

Beamer seems proud of his team’s No. 1 ACC ranking and attributes the position in part to Taylor.

“He’s exactly the right guy to lead this football team,” Beamer said on ACC media day. “He’s very, very well-respected. He gives us a chance to win.”

Returning running backs Ryan Williams and Darren Evans make up one of the most powerful offensive duos in the country. In 2009, Williams finished the season with 1,655 yards and scored 21 rushing touchdowns.

Despite a No. 10 preseason ranking, VT will face some challenges.

Veteran defensive tackle John Graves and returning cornerback Rashad Carmichael will carry an otherwise green Hokies defense.

“To be honest, we practice with the offense every day,” Graves said. “The offense always helps us get better.”

Another setback for the young defense will be the questionable return of junior inside linebacker Barquell Rivers, who is recovering from a quadricep injury.

VT will also likely struggle with a lack of depth in the defensive tackle and safety positions.

Brian Saunders will begin the season as starting punter after Brent Bowden was drafted to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. With the loss of defensive ends Jason Worilds and Nekos Brown, the defense has been completely rebuilt this season.

“It’s definitely a challenge because Virginia Tech has been known for its defense,” Graves said. “My goal is to try to uphold the tradition: Do the best I can on the team and motivate the guys to the best of my ability and just try to keep that tradition alive.”

During the middle part of VT’s schedule, the team has a break from fierce competition. But the Hokies face a potentially difficult stretch of back-to-back away games against UNC and Miami at the end of the season.

And before they can play those games, the Hokies have to get past Boise State in their season opener.

“Ever since they announced the date (of the game), it’s been the talk of the town,” Taylor said.