Chapel Hill establishments are new venues for laughs

Senior English major Emily Satterfield cracks jokes during Comedian Night at Kildare’s Irish Pub and Grille on Tuesday night as an amused crowd looks on and laughs.  The local comedy scene in Chapel Hill has witnessed a takeoff in the last several years.
Senior English major Emily Satterfield cracks jokes during Comedian Night at Kildare’s Irish Pub and Grille on Tuesday night as an amused crowd looks on and laughs. The local comedy scene in Chapel Hill has witnessed a takeoff in the last several years.

Correction (September 26, 11:56 p.m.): Due to a reporting error, a previous version of this story misspelled Kildare’s marketing and special events specialist’s name. His name is West Bailey. The story has been updated to reflect the correction. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

After returning from studying abroad in Germany, UNC senior Emily Satterfield did not have to limit relaying her funny culture-clash encounters to just her friends.

Satterfield now has a whole crowd of listeners with whom she can share her stories.

She is one of many taking advantage of the local comedy scene, which has slowly grown over the last few years.

Recently, local comedians and show producers have noticed an increase in interest in comedy and stand-up shows.

Chapel Hill has become home to several comedy venues as businesses work toward catering to this rising interest.

Kildare’s Irish Pub and Jack Sprat Cafe recently joined DSI comedy theater in hosting comedy shows.

“It’s a good fit for the area,” said Patty Griffin, Communications Director for the Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitor’s Bureau.

She said comedy couples well with the music and art scene of Chapel Hill, and that events like the N.C. Comedy Arts Festival, the largest comedy festival in the region, have brought more people into town.

Several comedians and producers said Chapel Hill is attracting comedians because it is home to a smarter audience.

“There’s not a need to dumb down jokes,” UNC junior Kenan Stewart said.

People in Chapel Hill are beginning to appreciate comedy as an art form, said Michelle Maclay, co-producer of The Blank Slate Comedy Show.

Maclay previously did stand-up in New York City and said the easiest way to get involved is by word of mouth.

She also said advertising and marketing are extremely important in an area like Chapel Hill where the crowd is primarily college students.

That’s where local businesses are coming into the picture.

Zach Ward, owner of DSI, said business owners are starting to see comedy as a viable entertainment option.

Ward opened the DSI comedy theater in 2005 and said stand-up has since been brought into more venues.

“Other venues started seeing that producing comedy and having comedy nights is something people want,” Ward said.

Kyle Heath, one of the owners of Jack Sprat, said he was approached by local comedians who thought the bar would be a good venue.

Jack Sprat began hosting open mic nights this year each Thursday at 9 p.m. and Heath said they have been successful so far.

Kildare’s also first featured a comedy night three weeks ago.

“Everyone likes a good laugh,” said West Bailey, marketing and special events specialist for the pub.

Dailey said comedy does well in Raleigh and thought it would also be successful in Chapel Hill.

“I think its a win-win for these businesses,” said Vinny Tagliatela, chairman of the CUAB comedy committee.

He said there has always been an interest in comedy in the area, but the outlets for comedians were not previously available.

But now that comedy has been gradually evolving, student involvement has seen an increase.

And though the availability of venues is increasing, Stewart said there is room for growth.

Satterfield said more people need to know about Chapel Hill’s comedy scene.

“I think it can definitely take off.”