Corona Cares helps fight cancer

Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the title of Ellen de Graffenreid. She is the director of communications and marketing for the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. The story also incorrectly stated where cancer patients can receive treatment. Treatment is offered at the N.C. Cancer Center. The story has been updated to reflect the corrections. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the errors.

Corona wants you to buy beer to help beat cancer.

The company’s 5-year-old program, Corona Cares, will raise money to benefit patients and families in the N.C. Cancer Center.

Throughout the month of September, the company will raise funds from beer sales to be put toward a direct donation to the cancer center.

“It’s important for us as a company to give back to the community, and this program is an excellent way to do that,” said Bill Ligas, a spokesman for the Corona importer, Crown Imports.

Twenty-five cents from the sale of every case of both Corona Extra and Corona Light sold in the state will be donated to the program.

The company will also raise money through the sale of paper limes in participating bars and retailers in North Carolina.

The company’s donation will be the first of its kind in the state. Since 2005, the program has expanded from Chicago to both coasts.

Some are wary, however, of an alcoholic beverage company raising money for cancer.

Brittney Stokes, a sophomore from Eden, N.C., where there is a Miller Brewing Co. plant, said she finds it difficult to reconcile the two ideas.

“My mom knows a lot of retirees from the [Miller] plant, and the majority of them are now cancer patients,” she said. “If they’re going to have this program, then they need to raise awareness about their own product and prevent the disease instead of trying to cure it.”

Despite these concerns, representatives from the hospital do not see a conflict of interest.

“I really believe this is an example of merchants that just want to give back to the community,” said Ellen de Graffenreid, director of communications and marketing for the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Contact the University desk at udesk@unc.edu.