Fight injustice: join the kick-off rally on Polk Place

Today we have a unique opportunity to join the UNC-CH NAACP and other organizations in their Kick-Off Rally in Polk Place. Featuring social justice activists and prominent leaders from our state and campus, the Rally will help unite our community around some of the most pressing injustices facing our state today. We are honored to have Rev. William Barber, N.C. NAACP president; Timothy Tyson, activist author and professor; Darryl Hunt, criminal justice advocate and exoneree; and Rev. Michelle Laws, local president of the Chapel Hill/Carrboro NAACP among others visit our campus. It’s not every day that we get the opportunity to host this sort of event.

Last week, UNC honored the first three African-American undergraduates at UNC-CH, LeRoy Frasier, John Brandon and Ralph Frasier. At the recognition banquet, Rev. Barber challenged everyone in the room to join what he called “the mighty stream of justice” exemplified by the three men’s brave decision to integrate our University. He also reminded us of some of the University’s history with slavery, KKK founders and white supremacy campaigns of the late 1800s.

However, UNC-Chapel Hill has certainly been at the forefront of addressing the major social justice issues of our day as well as embracing free speech and the exchange of ideas. This is an incredible opportunity to embrace your First Amendment rights and the rights of equality for all, and I encourage you to attend this and next week’s First Amendment Day celebrations.

Hogan Medlin
Student Body President