A room inside New West served as a forum Monday night for a discussion on the controversial mosque near Ground Zero.

Members and guests of UNC’s Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies, a debate club which is the oldest campus organization, debated the proposed Muslim community center, offering divergent opinions on what many considered a highly sensitive issue.

The first speaker, member Keri Majikes, spoke in favor of building the mosque.

“The community center stands for religious freedom and diversity,” she said. “It is guided by universal values of all religions — peace, compassion, generosity and respect for all.”

“It’s not a trophy for Muslim extremists because it promotes interfaith dialogue.”

Member Josh Groll countered, saying, “this debate is not about rights. The real question is, ‘Is it appropriate for a mosque to be built?’”

Groll added that a change is needed in the nation of Islam.

“Either you take it all or you take none of it,” Groll said. “Islam needs to go through an ideological evolution. Mohammed says that martyrdom is the most glorious thing a man can do.”

Critic Paige Goodlett, who was facilitating and critiquing the debate, brought up the role the media has played in heightening the controversy after the official debaters had their turns.

She said the media has over-hyped the issue, making it overly divisive.

Several members said the project would be insensitive considering the motives behind the 9/11 attacks.

“It is disrespectful of those who are against it,” said member Kevin Whitfield. “Scrap the project, save money and build it somewhere else.”

“A great evil was committed in the name of Islam,” member Andy Schwartz added. “It is morally reprehensible for a religion claiming to be peaceful to demand the building of a community center at a place where so much evil occurred.

“It’s needlessly provoking anger in Americans. Now is the time for empathy and understanding. If Islam is a religion of peace, now is the time to show it.”