If no mosque allowed, then YMCA should be banned

I found myself agreeing with Assemblyman Boyle’s letter (“Ground Zero mosque can be built, but shouldn’t,” Sept. 8), but I must take his principles and apply them one step further.

On 9/11, our country was attacked by men. As an American female, I too felt the impact of this terrible crime.

Yet despite this, New York City planners have blatantly overlooked that there is a YMCA located blocks from Ground Zero.

YMCA, a community center for young American males, fosters a sense of community and camaraderie amongst men. I acknowledge that males share the same constitutional rights we all do, but I must ask, “Should the YMCA be allowed to remain?”

That men would be allowed to have a community center so near the site where they attacked our nation demonstrates severe insensitivity toward those who are still suffering from their losses. I, for one, am disgusted.

Just as the Constitution offers a male state representative from New York the right to spread hateful propaganda and masked racism via the media, most likely Americans agree that such actions shouldn’t be taken, and that this will only cause more gender bias.

Please, let’s show some sensitivity to the women affected by the 9/11 attacks.

Graduate Student
Philosophy