Last day to opt out: Two insurance policies won't make you healthier

Unless you have been living under a rock, you have probably heard about the UNC system’s new requirement that all students have health coverage. With the debate over abortion coverage and the expected anger and frustration from both the pro-lifers and the pro-choicers, health insurance has received plenty of attention this semester.

But it is important to remember that not all coverage opt-outs are so controversial: all students are billed for UNC’s insurance plan as a default.

Students have to opt out if they have another source of coverage and the deadline is today. Pearce & Pearce, the insurance provider, doesn’t know that you have another policy unless you tell them.

So students, if you don’t want to pay, you better deal with it today.

If you have insurance from another source and haven’t taken the time to officially notify the authorities, log on to www.studentinsurance.com.

Insurance isn’t cheap, especially if you have two policies. You could save $361.50 this semester just by taking five minutes to type your information online. Even better, if you know that you won’t need coverage for the spring semester, you can opt out of that too, saving a grand total of $723. If you need some motivation to get typing, let’s put it in perspective: you can buy 107 B-Skis A.K. skis.

Students, this is your final friendly reminder to opt out of UNC insurance if you don’t need it. If you don’t do it today it will be too late. There is no reason to pay hundreds of dollars for an insurance policy if you are already covered.