Local chefs showcase talent for a crowd at Carrboro Farmers' Market

Douglas Odom made sure she was first in line at 8:30 a.m., having learned her lesson at last year’s Carrboro Farmers’ Market Chef Event.

“I came here last year, but I was way back there in the line, so I wanted to be early this time,” said Odom, who had her husband hold her spot while she wandered around the market.

The event officially began at 9 a.m. and showcased area chefs who regularly shop at the farmers’ market.

By 8:45 a.m., the line was already winding around the gazebo where the chefs were setting up their stations. Minutes later, the feeding frenzy began as people filed in, spoons in hand.

The theme for this year’s eighth annual event — “Buffet Table: Favorite Dishes for a Crowd” — challenged chefs to prepare dishes for large groups of people using ingredients bought at the market.

Six chefs were featured, with five of them returning from last year.

“I’m the only one that’s been here every year,” said Bret Jennings, chef and owner of Elaine’s on Franklin. “Maybe I won’t get invited back next year,” he joked.

Other chefs included Adam Rose from Il Palio, Adam Cobb from Glasshalfull, Amy Tornquist from Watts Grocery, Kevin Callaghan from Acme and Sheila and Matt Neal from Neal’s Deli.

Cobb, who said he shops for ingredients at the market twice each week, was the newcomer to the event and served up a pumpkin ice cream dish.

“It’s actually made from Long Island squash that I bought from that guy over there,” said Cobb, pointing to one of the vendors at the market. “I wanted to do a dessert bar spin-off.”

Callaghan, chef and owner of Acme, brought along his two daughters for help at the event while he prepared chile macaroni and cheese.

“I wanted something fun for people to eat based on things they could make at home,” Callaghan said.

An hour into the event, UNC senior Laura Hibler waited in line with her mother, who had driven in from Apex that morning.

“Hey, it’s free food,” she said.