On the ArnHao Holygrailers Split EP, Raleigh’s Denmark ONE records asserts itself as a major and emerging force in the local electronic scene.
ArnHao and Holygrailers ignite the fire on the label’s first split EP, crafting an ethereal and soulful take on electro-pop.

Combining the artistic efforts of Arturo “Trizz” Holmes and UNC alum Andrew Hamlet, Atlanta-based ArnHao draws from Pitchfork influences like Toro y Moi and Bloc Party and infuses them with an irresistible warmth, the sonic equivalent of a defibulator.

Full of celestial references, sparkling synth and pulsating beats, ArnHao’s “Oh?! (Intangible Fantasy)” sweeps the listener into a swirling body of sound. Lyrics like “I want to ride my bicycle into the sky / I want to escape on an escalator in the city,” reference “intangible fantasies,” as the song’s soothing vocals ultimately send the listener into a blissful trance.

Raleigh’s Nikhil Shah, aka Holygrailers, relies on similar soul and sensuality in his two dubstep track contributions, “Rosa” and “Morning Nap / Buttons.”
On the latter, soft static and ambient piano chords creep to life, much like a slow start to an early morning. At first the diversity is limited and hints at overrepetition, a frequent consequence of electro-pop. But throw in a drippy faucet and a growing commotion of snaps and twitches, and Shah maintains a simple and refreshing balance of synth and soul with striking precision.

Denmark ONE’s debut compilation proves just how infectious and multifaceted electronic music can be. But it’s the way in which both artists rely heavily on a sense of emotionalism that sets them apart from the Passion Pits and MGMTs, especially in a genre that tends to rely all too frequently on the same old musical tropes.

Denmark’s debut EP has certainly whet our palettes for more soulful electro, and based on the work from the two contributing artists, things should only get sweeter from here.