Music Review: Eternal Summers

When two people can produce a novel sound with apparent ease, it’s easy to fall head over heels with awe. Eternal Summers professes beachy daydreams of summer afternoons grounded in lo-fi simplicity on “Silver”.

The strong haze in Nicole Yun’s voice melds effortlessly with the distorted guitar she plays. It’s an ideal complement to Daniel Cundiff’s steady drumming, and the two seem as natural together as peanut butter and jelly.

No matter if there’s an up-in-the-clouds essence or a garage rock shrill, Eternal Summers combines drums and guitar flawlessly across a range of tempos.

The gentle respite of “Bully in Disguise” departs from the rambunctious “Pogo,” but both tracks are equally radiant.
The combination of simplistic drum rhythms and basic guitar progressions produces easy-on-the-ear songs weighted with catchy choruses.

Yun’s guitar strumming and mini-riffs are solid in “I Know Now,” before falling behind the scenes in “Salty” when the drums take precedence on the track. Trading key roles in every song, the duo tag-teams the album, generating a hearty balance of the band’s self-proclaimed “dream punk.”

The band keeps its minimalism fresh by varying each song’s flow and introducing left field variants. Cundiff takes the reins of leading vocals on the hand clap-fueled “I’ll Die Young For Rock and Roll.” It’s a moderate vocal performance, but creates an unforeseen angle where the album bends conventionality.

“Silver” is the successful conception of two compatible Virginia musicians. It’s a marked improvement to the often static genre of lo-fi garage rock.

Eternal Summers dresses up simplicity on its debut LP, transforming garage rock tradition into transcendence.