New ASG website will connect students with jobs, internships in government

UNC-system students will soon be able to find national security jobs and internships through a new website.

TopSecretClick.com, which is expected to launch soon, is designed to match students with jobs and internships in the military and other agencies. The project is a joint effort between the UNC Association of Student Governments and UNC General Administration.

“The idea is for it to open up more doors to students who wouldn’t have had access to these internships before,” said Josh Cotton, ASG vice president of legislative and public affairs.

Members of the association said the website will help facilitate both sides of the hiring process.

“They want our students, and our students need jobs,” said ASG President Atul Bhula.

Kimrey Rhinehardt, vice president for federal relations at UNC General Administration, said getting UNC students into their programs is important for military commands.

“Internships are a top-tier priority for them, and they want our students,” Rhinehardt said. “It’s a win-win situation for the system.”

Many of the jobs currently being outsourced by the department of defense might be available to students through the website, Rhinehardt said.

“We want the department of defense to rely more on a civilian workforce rather than a contracting workforce,” she said.

“We’re placing our graduates in really critical jobs, and it’s also great for the students because they’re getting great experience and exposure.”

TopSecretClick.com is intended as a new way to find the best matches for the kinds of students these organizations are looking for, Rhinehardt said.

The website will post job openings and provide opportunities for students of many different interests, not just peace, war and defense majors, she said.

Opportunities include organizational and behavioral psychology support, sports medicine, physical therapy, horticultural support, zoological support, meteorological support and library support.

“If you’re in library sciences, you’re not going to be looking to special forces for an internship,” Rhinehardt said.

“This is something that potentially is going to connect the right students with an internship opportunity that ordinarily they wouldn’t know about.”

Rhinehardt said she is pleased with the response from ASG.

“It’s a great opportunity for the ASG to develop this for the students they serve,” she said. “It’s clear to me through their leadership that they’re committed to connecting their students with the jobs they want and need.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.