Off-campus housing facing tenant shortages

On-campus housing more popular

Local off-campus apartment complexes are reporting high levels of vacancies as demand for on-campus housing increases.

Apartment complexes such as Mill Creek Condominiums and the Town House Apartments have experienced lower occupancy rates this semester, management staff for both complexes said.

Owner and general manager of Mill House Properties Adam Jones said 10 percent of Mill Creek’s units are empty this year. Mill Creek is normally full, he said, but with so many off-campus options, apartment complexes are facing tenant shortages.

“This year’s been a really bad rental market for off-campus,” Jones said. “There is more supply and less demand.”

Town House property manager Gina Turner said that due to poor management during the spring, 15 apartments are still empty out of the 111 units available. Turner is part of a new management team that was brought in during mid-July.

“Marketing efforts weren’t in place when they needed to be in the spring, so we kind of missed the boat,” Turner said.

Meanwhile, demand for on-campus housing remains high.

Larry Hicks, director of the Department of Housing and Residential Education, said there has been an increase in demand for on-campus housing as well as for Granville Towers.

Housing was overbooked during the summer but is currently at 97 percent occupancy, not including Granville, Hicks said. He said occupancy is keeping pace with extra spaces created by renovations and new residence hall construction.

Hicks said 8,584 students live on campus this semester, compared to 8,420 last fall.

In 2001, fall occupancy was at 7,021 students.

Hicks said he attributes the rising popularity of on-campus housing to its convenience and to the experience of being a part of the UNC campus community.

Several off-campus complexes have begun new and innovative marketing efforts in an attempt to attract new tenants.

They proved successful for the Verge apartment complex, which is an exception to the trend because it has a higher occupancy rate than last year.

Residential relations coordinator for the Verge, Kahran Myers, attributed the increase to the complex’s outreach marketing team, which has been distributing snacks, water and T-shirts in the Pit.

“We’re trying to get the Verge name synonymous with quality,” Myers said.

To attract new tenants, Jones said Mill House Properties has offered special financial incentives, such as discounted rent and gift cards to the Carolina Brewery.