QB comes back to Clemson

The Clemson Tigers have a lot of holes to fill following the departure of All-American C.J. Spiller.

Spiller, the most valuable player of the ACC Championship game and the Music City Bowl, led the Tigers in rushing yards, return yards and touchdowns.

“You can’t replace that with any one person,” tackle Chris Hairston said at ACC Media Day. “You have to replace it with a little scheme ­— a combination of players.”

The Tigers are looking to sophomore Andre Ellington and junior Jamie Harper to replace Spiller’s production in the running game.

Four starters are returning to the offensive line along with quarterback Kyle Parker, who was selected to the All-America freshman team last year. Parker chose to delay his professional baseball career to play for Clemson in the fall.

“When you get a quarterback that’s talented, plus experienced, who’s played in a championship game, it’s certainly a big shot in the arm for us,” coach Dabo Swinney said.

Parker, the first athlete in Division 1 history to throw for 20 touchdowns and hit 20 home runs in the same academic school year, was drafted by the Colorado Rockies with the 26th overall pick in the 2010 MLB draft.

“Having Kyle and his leadership abilities and his experience — it’s a big deal,” Hairston said.

After the graduation of top receivers Spiller, Jacoby Ford and tight end Michael Palmer, Parker and Swinney have their work cut out for them. Senior Xavier Dye, who totaled 14 receptions for 236 yards last season, is the team’s top returning pass catcher.

On the defensive end, Clemson lost both starting cornerbacks, two starting linebackers and leading pass rusher Ricky Sapp. Conversely, the Tigers return five of their top six tacklers from a year ago, losing only leading tackler Kavell Conner.

The Tigers are looking to senior Marcus Gilchrist, last season’s second-leading tackler who’s making the transition from safety to corner, to lead an inexperienced secondary, all while hoping junior defensive end Da’Quan Bowers lives up to the five-star rating he received as a high school prospect.

A narrow loss in the ACC Championship game to Georgia Tech and a victory against Kentucky in the Music City Bowl were a positive end to a disappointing 2009 season where Clemson finished 9-5.