Six things you don't want to miss at Hopscotch Music Festival

See the McKay speaker series

Alongside the packed music lineup, Hopscotch will feature three free speaker series sponsored by Edward McKay Used Books & More throughout the weekend.

Ranging in topics from North Carolina’s music heritage to hip-hop and its impact on society, the events will take place in the Raleigh City Museum in the late afternoon.

Grayson Currin, music editor for The Independent Weekly and Hopscotch co-mastermind will moderate two of the discussions.

The events feature artists like Andrew Whiteman of Broken Social Scene, who will read selections from his upcoming book Tourisim and participate in a panel discussion with local poets.

Other speakers include Phil Cook of Megafaun, Durham’s 9th Wonder, and Christopher R. Weingarten, author of a new book on Public Enemy’s It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.

— Joseph Chapman

See Megafaun get groovy

The Megafaun guys have been known to jam before, but Hopscotch marks an unprecedented opportunity to watch this band steer its winding instrumentals in new directions.

It’s an equation we could only dream up — the Raleigh three-piece will be joined by fellow musical greats Marissa Nadler, the Jeb Bishop Trio, Greg Davis & Ben Vida, Ned Rothenburg and Keith Fullerton Whitman.

There are plenty of rumors swirling around this set. Will it be the last Megafaun show of the year in the Triangle? Will there be some unannounced guests in typical Megafaun style?

No one can say for sure, but we can guarantee that this won’t be your typical Dave Matthews-style groove session. An opportunity to see musicians this talented improvising and collaborating with friends in an intimate, casual environment is a rare one —one that you shouldn’t miss.

— Linnie Greene

See events without a wristband

We know the story. You were going to get a ticket —really, you were —but then this weekend snuck up on you and you realized that wristbands were sold out.

We’re not going to rub it in your face (much). Luckily, there are plenty of Hopscotch-related events and activities that don’t require a wristband, some of which are completely free.

If you’re looking to get the most bang for your nonexistent buck, day parties are an ideal way to see big local and national names. For more info on schedule day parties, see Dive’s coverage on page nine.

But if you’re willing to part with a little cash, the options get more varied. There are tickets available for some individual shows, including headliners Public Enemy and local favorites The Rosebuds, on Hopscotch’s website. The Edward McKay speaker series is another opportunity to catch famed authors, musicians and experts for a smaller fee.

— Linnie Greene

See Danny Perez’s ‘Oddsac’

By 3 p.m. tomorrow afternoon, there’s a good chance that Hopscotch patrons will relish the chance to sit down and relax in Galaxy Cinema.

At only $5 admission, the screening of the Danny Perez/Animal Collective collaboration “Oddsac” will probably be cheaper than your lunch, and it’s certainly more trippy. It definitely beats the $15 cost of a ticket to the Chapel Hill screening last spring.

For the music fans that will populate Downtown Raleigh over the weekend, “Oddsac” should provide an intriguing dichotomy of Pitchfork-approved sounds and weird imagery.

It’s likely to be a welcome respite from three days of crowded bars, loud venues and a downtown packed with festival-goers and artists.

We’d suggest heading to the theater to take a break before Panda Bear co-headlines later that night. Perez will host a question and answer session following the film.

— Linnie Greene

See Public Enemy headline

Putting indie rockers No Age and The Love Language on the same bill as aggressive hip hop legends Public Enemy might seem like an uncomfortable combination at first.

The three bands and their wide ranging sounds are sure to bring with them three very different audiences Saturday night in downtown Raleigh.

But a diverse turnout is exactly what Public Enemy frontman Chuck D. has been fighting for since the group hit the scene in the late ’80s. From the rap group’s first tour with the Beastie Boys, the band has tried to bridge the gap between rock, hip hop and their respective audiences.

Synthesized guitar sounds and classic rock MPC loops dominate tracks like “Rebel Without a Pause,” a snarky comeback to rock-loving hip hop phobists.

So don’t be afraid — weird art punk, jangly sweetheart rock and explosive raps will certainly make for an interesting performance at Raleigh’s City Plaza.

— Joseph Chapman

See where you can get in under 21

Wondering which venues you’ll be able to get in during Hopscotch?

All shows at Raleigh City Plaza, The Lincoln Theatre and Berkeley Cafe have no age restrictions. Kings, Five Star and Tir Na Nog, however, are 18 and up.

Have your ID ready if you plan to attend shows at Deep South Bar, Slim’s, The Hive @ Busy Bee or The Pour House — even if you don’t plan on consuming alcohol, these venues won’t let you in if you’re under 21.

Admission to club venues is limited to the legal capacity of each establishment. If you arive at a show that is filled to the brim, you’ll have to take your place in line, walk or hop on the free R-Line to another one of Hopscotch’s great venues.

And make sure you leave your backpacks, bicycles, chairs coolers, food, pets, SLR cameras and weapons at home, as all of these items are strictly prohibited inside of the City Plaza.

— Joseph Chapman