ACC student-athlete graduation rates find UNC-CH ranking sixth

Universities in the Atlantic Coast Conference are working to increase their student-athlete graduation rates.

Data released last week for classes that entered school from 2000 to 2003 ranks Duke University as the ACC school with the highest athlete graduation rate.

N.C. State University ranked at the bottom of the list at number 12 and UNC-CH ranked number six.

UNC-CH’s student-athletes have an 87 percent four-year graduation rate, which is above the national average of 73 percent, but is still lower than five other ACC schools.

Administrators at many ACC schools — even those at the top of the charts ­— say improving graduation rates has been a priority for their programs.

Steve Kirschner, associate athletic director of athletic communications at UNC-CH, said the University is constantly working to improve graduation rates.

“We’re pleased with them, but I don’t think we’re ever satisfied,” he said. “Anything under 100 percent we’re never going to be satisfied with.”

John Blanchard, senior associate athletic director for student-athlete services at UNC-CH, said the University has implemented different methods to help improve these graduation rates.

An academic support program through the College of Arts and Sciences works with student athletes, providing support and resources they need to be successful, he said.

“I think the success is due in large part to the University and the culture here in addition to the student athletes themselves,” he said.

Chris Kennedy, deputy director of athletics at Duke, said it is important to constantly evaluate programs to make sure they’re appropriate for what’s happening at the institution and what kinds of students are being recruited.

Kennedy said Duke has developed an “elaborate” mentor program for football athletes, which helps athletes facing issues beyond the classroom.

Academic problems often arise because of social issues, homesickness, relationships and other outside influences, Kennedy said.

“The point of the mentoring program is also to deal with the whole kid and the experience that student is having,” he said.

However, many university officials said it is often difficult to compare graduation statistics between institutions because of the differences in student populations and academic goals.

Carrie Leger, director of academic support program for student athletes at NCSU, said rates might appear low because of students who transfer or leave early to play professionally.

And although NCSU has the lowest graduation rate in the ACC, it has implemented a program that involves study halls, individualized counseling and close follow-ups with students, said Franklin McCain, member of the UNC-system Board of Governors.

He said schools are trying to attract better-prepared students for their sports programs to improve graduation rates.

He added that the key effort is a continuous review of students’ progress so there won’t be any surprises at the end of the semester.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.