Barefoot soccer kicks AIDS

Chelsea Phillips hopes to raise money for AIDS awareness through soccer tournament.

Chelsea Phillips, a native of Huntersville, NC, never would have imagined that her two and a half week visit to South Africa would lead her to compete for 2010 Miss UNC.

Phillips met an American woman in South Africa who was actively involved in Grassroot Soccer, an organization whose purpose is to raise awareness about the HIV/AIDS epidemic. It seems they were destined to meet.
After learning more information about the program, Phillips was excited to share this idea once she arrived back at home.

“I knew I wanted to bring AIDS awareness to this university and the surrounding community,” Phillips said. “The option to run for Miss UNC provided a perfect opportunity for me to promote this charity.”

Phillips entered the election with the foundations for a potential service project. As a senior business administration major, she believed she could realize her plan if she were elected. Her active involvement on campus further qualified her to think big.

Some of Phillips’ activities include President of the Order of the Bell Tower, Senior Class Chief Marshall and student representative for the General Alumni Association Board of Directors.

“Through all my roles on campus I am able to capitalize my leadership skills and with that experience I feel like I can better represent all UNC students,” she said.

If Phillips is crowned Miss UNC, her award money will go directly to funding her service project titled “Lose the Shoes,” a three-on-three barefoot soccer tournament on campus.

This event will specifically raise funds for Grassroots Soccer. The program provides soccer stars and other leaders of the African community with tools to educate youth on HIV/AIDS prevention. As established role models, the adults can effectively influence children’s health decisions.

HIV

Phillips’ campaign manager Christie Anthony says the main strategy that the promotion team focused on was to differentiate Chelsea’s passion for her service project from the other candidates.

Phillips’ key to success was simple: promoting the Grassroot Soccer organization and advocating “Vote for Chelsea.”

Her campaign strategy of “less is more” worked. When it came time to narrow the pool of female candidates from 15 to three, Phillips found herself among the top.

Chelsea hopes to maintain the same momentum from the preliminary election into the final voting process. “I’m doing this solely for my service project,” Phillips said. “Even if I don’t win, I’ll know I was at least successful in putting my message out there and still hope to follow through with my final goal.”

Her friends acknowledge her passion. “I support Chelsea Phillips because she is supporting an amazing cause,” Reid said.