B.J. Lawson is the wrong choice for Fourth District

As UNC students, there is no reason to vote for B.J. Lawson, contrary to what the letter “B.J. Lawson is the right choice for Fourth District” (Oct. 19) contended.

Lawson has called for the abolition of the Department of Education and the end of federal support for student loans. How many among our student body rely on Pell Grants, student loans or federal work-study programs which would be cut under this plan? Lawson also wants to eliminate federal support for university research; where would UNC be if our government completely gave up on research? This would cripple the UNC system, leaving students fewer opportunities to get jobs after graduation.

In addition to these radical policies, Lawson opposes restrictions on carrying concealed handguns on UNC’s campus. He also refused to even respond to a question from Project VoteSmart about whether LGBT people should be allowed to serve in the military, and doesn’t believe that sexual orientation should be included in nondiscrimination and hate crime laws.

The choice is clear this November. David Price, a champion of higher education and research, clearly offers a better option than Lawson. I urge you to vote for Price in November to uphold both our university’s livelihood and the ideals of justice and equality for all.

Austin Gilmore
Sophomore
Political Science and Sociology