Caldwell partners with Arc

Micah Caldwell - candidate for Homecoming King

Music drives Micah “Mocha” Caldwell to get involved on campus, but helping others motivates him to volunteer on a larger scale.

“It may only take one person to impact a cause but having the help of thousands of others backing you is that much better,” said Caldwell.

Caldwell hopes to use the title of Mr. UNC not for personal gain, but as a platform to raise awareness for people with disabilities.

“I thought running for home coming king would be the best way possible to get the entire UNC campus involved,” Caldwell said. “I wanted to make it a joint effort between myself and the UNC community.”

For his service project, he plans to work with the Arc of Orange County, a local organization that advocates for services for people with disabilities. Caldwell said he has been working with the Arc of Orange County for over two years with Pi Kappa Phi, his fraternity. He plans to invite families involved with the organization to participate in a week-long event to raise money for the organization.

“The percentage of people with disabilities is increasing,” Caldwell said. “A lot of people aren’t groomed to work with people with disabilities. I think that’s a travesty and that’s something that’s needed.”

Tyler Aiken, Caldwell’s campaign manager, said the week will be busy. There will be wheelchair races, kick ball tournaments, a lecture on “the R-word”, meet and greets and a discussion panel with doctors. On the last day, Caldwell has planned a benefit concert involving his musical connections, the Achordants, jazz bands and other local bands.

“During his disability awareness week, he’s bringing so much information to students in the university that they wouldn’t be regularly exposed to,” Aiken said.

Caldwell said the weeklong event is only a jump-start for how he hopes to aid his cause. This summer, he will be working with Push America and his fraternity to help lead Journey of Hope, a cross-country bike ride with three routes from Washington or California to Washington, D.C.

“I chose to work with Arc of Orange County because I wanted to start locally in raising awareness and then grow nationally,” Caldwell said.

Beyond service events, Aiken said they are hoping to reach out to people more personally rather than shouting at them from the Pit.

According to Victoria Welburn, a supporter and friend, being personable is something that comes easily to Caldwell.

“Micah is an open person. He’s honest and real. He’s doesn’t try to fake anything to please people. He is who he is and embraces people for who they are,” Welburn said, “He has a genuine interest in people.”

“Most would have expected me to do something with music, but I wanted to be unique in my platform and do something I’m passionate about,” Caldwell said. “I’m passionate about music, very much so, but I’m also passionate about people with disabilities.”