Chapel Hill town workers to protest suspension

Reason for forced leave still unclear

Pedestrians and drivers passing by Town Hall will see union members protesting today and every Friday until two solid waste employees get their jobs back.

Clyde Clark and Kerry Bigelow are on paid administrative leave while the town of Chapel Hill completes an investigation into complaints made regarding the behavior of the two men.

Though reasons for the suspension remain unclear to Clark and Bigelow, the two said they think their involvement in the N.C. Public Service Workers’ Union, or UE 150, has provoked the town investigation.

The men filed grievances against the town claiming discrimination on the job in the past, Clark said. He said he thinks the filings are directly related to their dismissal.

“All of this is retaliation from the town,” Clark said. “We haven’t done anything wrong, so why are we out of work?”

Catherine Lazorko, spokeswoman for the town of Chapel Hill, said she could not comment on the investigation into the complaints filed against Clark and Bigelow.

Nathanette Mayo, chairwoman of the UE 150 municipal council, said management is singling out Clark and Bigelow to set an example and prevent other workers from voicing concerns.

“I think because we are in the economic period that we are in, workers tend to find themselves pushed into a corner,” Mayo said. “We are hoping that more people see they need to be able to stand up. You can’t be happy with just having a job.”

Clark and Bigelow have agreed to unite with UE 150 and local supporters to protest outside Town Hall each Friday until they are reinstated to their jobs.

“The union is getting other groups up and sending out letters, inviting ministers and pastors from the church—a whole lot of groups are coming out in support,” Clark said.

Mayo said workers from UE 150 also participated in Saturday’s “One Nation Working Together” march in Washington, D.C., where unions and local community organizations had the chance to speak out about working conditions and other issues.

Clark said he hopes the matter will be resolved fairly and that other workers will not have to face similar experiences.

“Even though we are getting paid, we just want to go back to work,” he said.