Dwight Jones has breakout game, shows true skills

Dwight Jones had his biggest game as a Tar Heel on saturday against Virginia, catching seven balls for 198 yards and two touchdowns. Jones nearly tripled his career production in saturday’s win.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. — The first one could have been a fluke. The second one took some skill. And the third one …

Well, the third one he was ruled down short of the goal line. But junior wide receiver Dwight Jones’ career night against Virginia helped North Carolina put the game out of reach early with his 188 yards on six catches and two touchdowns in the first half.

Jones would finish the game with 198 yards on seven catches to lead all receivers, finally posting a big game for the first time as a Tar Heel.

“Everybody knew he’s had that kind of talent and we’ve just been waiting for him to have that breakout game and he’s definitely had it,” quarterback T.J. Yates said. “Now we’ve got multiple receivers on this team that put up those 200-yard games.”

On the first play from scrimmage, Yates found Jones on an underneath route. He broke a tackle on the left sideline and then used a key block downfield to get into the end zone from 81 yards for his second touchdown of the season.

With 1:17 left in the first quarter, Yates connected yet again with Jones for a score. This time, Jones had to slide to the ground to come up with the catch, which was reviewed before being tacked onto the scoreboard. The 20-yard connection put UNC up 17-3.

Jones’ final big haul of the game came in the second quarter when Yates passed to Jones for a 55-yard touchdown. At least, that’s what the refs originally called. Upon further review, Jones was dragged down at the one-and-a-half yard line, denying him his third score of the half.

“I was just in the zone,” Jones said. “I don’t know if I was down at the one or not, I was just trying to score.”

Before this season, Jones averaged 10.5 yards on 2.5 catches per year, paltry numbers for a wide receiver who was ranked in the top-five nationally at his position in high school. He spent a year at Hargrave Military Academy before coming to UNC, where he played in three games his freshman year but recorded no receptions.

This season, Jones had 104 yards and one score on 12 catches before the game. On Saturday, he more than doubled all of his season totals.

“I thought he did an excellent job on getting his releases, getting separation, tracking the ball, making some really difficult catches,” UNC coach Butch Davis said. “He’s come a long way. It’s a shame he got off to such a slow start.”

Jones helped Yates open up a passing game for an offense that’s been led by the rushing attack for the majority of the season sans the huge 221-yard night for wide receiver Jheranie Boyd against Louisiana State.

“We didn’t run the ball today the way we wanted to, but we got effective yards when we needed them,” senior offensive tackle Mike Ingersoll said. “It wasn’t flashy, it wasn’t 260 yards, but it was when we needed yards; we got them. We ran the ball just well enough to open the passing game.”

Against the Cavaliers, UNC and Jones were able to exploit a Virginia pass defense that was previously second-best in the ACC. Through five games, the Cavaliers’ pass defense had allowed only four touchdowns and 151 passing yards per game.

For UNC, the drought of 29 winless years in Charlottesville came to a close. For Jones, his collegiate career had just begun.

“It feels good. I’ve been working for a very, very long time,” Jones said.

“To finally get that opportunity to go out there and showcase my talents to the coaches and to my team is a great feeling.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.