Elections a platform for student service projects

Students have the chance to choose a role model for themselves and the community on Friday, October 29.

Students vote for one Mr. UNC and one Miss UNC on MyUNC under Organizations in the “Student Life” tab.

“It’s important for students to vote because the point of the service project is to get the campus community involved and to better UNC,” said Kate Hoolahan, the Carolina Athletic Association Homecoming Chair.

“I’m excited about voting because it’s a great opportunity for those who are running to publicize good causes,” junior Maria Diaz said.

Diaz claims she read about the candidate’s platforms before deciding who to vote for in the preliminary elections.

“It’s important to be well-informed before you vote,” Diaz said.

Hoolahan said the winners are people that will represent UNC, so students should choose someone who best represents them.

Candidates applying for Mr. or Miss UNC must have: at least a 2.5 GPA, two recommendation letters, 200 unique signatures and be graduating in May, Hoolahan said.

Of the two recommendation letters, one must focus on leadership and one on academics.

Candidates must either write two pages about their service project or get a recommendation letter about the service he or she has completed. Although the service project component was optional this year, all candidates have a service project.

The candidate submits the application to the Board of Elections, who then decide if the candidate will make it onto the ballot. Once accepted, each candidate must attend an information session held by the Board of Elections to find out about campaigning regulations.

Originally, there were 15 female and 3 male candidates, said Andrew Phillips, Board of Elections chair. The top three females and males will be on the final ballot, so the women had a preliminary vote on Oct. 15. The final ballot will be held on Oct. 29. Both are plurality elections.

Once elected, Mr. and Miss UNC each get $500 towards their service project and a package with a class ring, basketball tickets, a crown and sash, Hoolahan said.

The winning candidates also have a certain amount of time between getting elected and starting their service project.
The title changed from Homecoming King and Queen to Mr. and Miss UNC to accompany the change in the service project aspect. Without a service project requirement, Mr. and Miss UNC are still expected to be role models for students.

The title is not the most important thing, Hoolahan said, but what is important is that the winners will be role models for current and prospective students.

Last year’s queen, Carly Brantmeyer, said she ran because of the service aspect.

“Desmond [Rowe] and I both ran to have a voice on campus about service,” Brantmeyer said.

She is happy with how her service project, PhotoTEACH, turned out. She started the program in Ghana. It gained enough momentum and attention for her to bring the program to the Cornwallis community in Durham.