Four running for Orange County Board of Commioners seats

Candidates for the Orange County Board of Commissioners will be on the ballot Nov. 2. Early voting starts today. Residents can vote for commissioners for all districts, regardless of residency. Here’s who’s running:

District At-Large

Barry Jacobs

Barry Jacobs has served on the Board of County Commissioners since 1998. In 2000, he helped oversee the implementation of the Lands Legacy Action Plan, an effort to protect the county’s natural and cultural resource lands.

Jacobs said he decided to run again in part because of the financial strains that the community faces this year.
“Having some historical perspective, a regional view and a commitment to education, the environment and economic development are particularly important at this time,” Jacobs said. “The fact that more and more people are struggling financially is a corollary to how we navigate those turbulent financial waters.”

Learn more about Jacobs at barryjacobs.org.

District 1

Alice Gordon

Alice Gordon was first elected to the Board of County Commissioners in 1990. She has served as both chairwoman and vice chairwoman of the board. She was also the chairwoman of two regional transportation boards. In 2006, she received the Goodmon Award for Exemplary Regional Leadership by an Elected Official.

“I want to be a part of that conversation when we try to decide how to run county government in a time of fiscal constraint,” Gordon said.

She said she wants to continue to work on environmental protection as well as improve school systems and regional transportation.

Learn more about Gordon at alicegordon.com.

District 2

Earl McKee

A newcomer to elected office, Democrat Earl McKee operates an agricultural business. McKee is one of the charter members of the Caldwell Fire Department and is currently president of the board of directors of the department.
He has also worked on church, civic and farm bureau boards. He currently serves on the Orange County planning board.

McKee said he is focused on maintaining county service offices, improving public safety departments and maintaining the quality of education in the county.

“I have served on boards where there were differences of opinions, and I’ve always been able to work toward a consensus,” McKee said.

Learn more about McKee at earlmckee.com.

Greg Andrews

Republican Greg Andrews, like his opponent, is new to local politics. He is the owner of THD Construction, Inc, is a member of the Masonic Lodge and sits on the board of BB&T.

“My opponent is operating a family business that’s been there for years. I started with absolutely nothing,” Andrews said.

“I bring a business sense that I think the county’s missing,” he said.

He said the county should focus on new businesses, economic growth and fiscal responsibility.

“We cannot continue to spend money now depending on collecting it in future tax raises,” Andrews said. “We have to find a balance in what we’ve got.”

Learn more about Andrews at gregandrewsocc.org.