Hillsborough names Duane Hampton new police chief

Duane Hampton, currently a lieutenant with the Durham Police Department, was selected to be the new chief of police for the town of Hillsborough on Sept. 30. He will begin his new position, which has been open since April, Nov. 1, with a starting salary of $83,100.

Hillsborough has a new police chief, and with him, hopes to strengthen local resident involvement and communication.

Hillsborough selected Durham Police Lt. Duane Hampton as the new chief of police Thursday. Hampton will begin his new position on Nov. 1 with a starting salary of $83,100.

The position opened up in April when former police chief Clarence Birkhead resigned.

Hillsborough Town Manager Eric Peterson said one of the main things that citizens were looking for was a police chief who aspired to build a stronger relationship with the community.

“One of the questions was, ‘What are you going to do as chief to take this interaction with the community to a much higher level?’” Peterson said.

Peterson said Hampton was the best choice because he had extensive experience in almost all areas of law enforcement.

When Peterson was asked about how Hampton would handle different situations, he could give specific options the town could pursue.

“He was very good about being open-minded and willing to entertain new ideas,” Peterson said. “He was a person who didn’t claim to have all the answers but recognized that there were a lot of good things going on in the Hillsborough police department, and he is looking to build on those.”

Becoming a chief has been a career goal of Hampton’s for at least the last five years. He obtaining his undergraduate degree at Virginia Tech and a master’s degree at UNC, he has worked in the Triangle area for more than 16 years.

“Hillsborough is the perfect size,” Hampton said. “It’s the kind of community I’m interested in. It’s got a history, a kind of identity that’s all its own. It’s a unique town, and I really like that about it.”

Hampton said when he gets into office he plans to learn more about the town and to find out what the department is doing well and where it needs improvement.

“I don’t know if this is a departure from the way (Birkhead) managed, but I want to be accessible,” Hampton said. “I consider myself a very good public speaker. I like to get out and talk to groups, and I think that’s going to have a lot of benefit.”

Hampton said he also plans to emphasize teamwork.

“A big priority to me is to make sure that the officers really understand how much I value them,” he said. “Too often that recognition of the officers is kind of left out.

“We hear a lot about the bad and not so much about the good.”
Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez worked with Hampton when he was a police lieutenant in Durham, where Hampton was in charge of criminal investigations.

“I fully support him. He has done an excellent job since I’ve been here for the past three years,” Lopez said. “I think he will do a very good job for the citizens of Hillsborough.”