Holiday Inn re-brands

Hotel changes name to avoid rebuilding

A local hotel that doubles as a UNC sports hub has re-branded itself in order to sidestep complete reconstruction.

The Holiday Inn Chapel Hill, which is located on Fordham Boulevard and has been an icon of the community since 1962, changed its name to Chapel Hill University Inn on Wednesday after finding out the Holiday Inn franchise will no longer continue its exterior-corridor hotels.

Going independent in a fragile economic recovery period risks losing business from name recognition, but the hotel’s general manager, Stacie Williamson, said she is confident the hotel will succeed.

“Remaining the vintage-style hotel allows us to still remain an economical full-service hotel,” Williamson said.

To stay with Holiday Inn, the hotel would have had to completely rebuild, which would not have been cost-effective, she said.

“It’s a neat thing that the hotel isn’t going away,” she said. “It will still be part of the community, just with a new name and more flexibility with how we work with the guests.”

Five years ago, the hotel became sports-themed, showcasing the winning traditions of UNC athletics throughout the building.

The hotel also became home to Time-Out Sports Bar four years ago when bar owner Eddie Williams took over the restaurant and decided to play up its sports theme.

“I was getting some travelers, but I get a lot of townspeople who come in and watch football games and eat,” Williams said. “We get a lot of Carolina fans, and a lot that come in after, like, a home football game to watch their second favorite team on television.”

He said he doesn’t believe the brand change will affect the restaurant, which also has a location in University Square.

“I think people will still come,” Williams said. “I don’t think the name is that important.”

The hotel offers services, like discounted rates for guests visiting UNC Hospitals and the University, which draw repeat visitors, giving Williamson confidence business will not suffer from the name change.

The hotel shuttle also provides transportation to the hospital and football and basketball games.

But Kal Amin, owner of the Days Inn across the street, said he thinks the re-brand will present challenges for his competition.

“In this economic recession, having a brand affiliation is crucial,” he said. “A national name brand is what travelers look for in a hotel. They know that standards will be maintained.”

Williamson said many guests prefer the older exterior-style hotels because they allow for parking directly in front of rooms.

Nationally, brands are moving away from motel-style models because indoor halls are more modern. Williamson said more exterior-corridor hotels will likely become independent as a result.

“It’s a comfortable, fun hotel with a relaxed atmosphere, so we’re keeping all of that the same,” she said. “I think most of our guests will stay the same. We’re really excited about it.”

Contact the City Editor

at citydesk@unc.edu.