Lecture discusses importance of gays and lesbians in history

It was 1914 and the world was at war.

But while everyone’s eyes were fixed on the battles in Europe, two young women realized, as they pulled soldiers out of the battle-scarred trenches together, that they were attracted to one another.

This is the kind of history that University of Manchester professor Laura Doan is interested in: not just people and their role in history but also their sexuality and its effect on that history.

She came to UNC on Monday afternoon to speak to a group of students and professors in the Donovan Lounge of Greenlaw Hall about the importance of sexuality in history and literature.

English professor Ruth Salvaggio hosted Doan’s lecture, which occurred during Gay and Lesbian History Month, to spark discussion about the ways historians and literary critics have treated homosexual literature over the years.

Sexual history, she said, is no less important than any other field of history.

“It’s relevant in the same way all history is relevant,” she said. “To miss sexuality is to essentially lie.”

Among the figures Doan discussed in her lecture was Anne Lister, who wrote over 30,000 diary entries confessing her lesbian orientation, and is widely acknowledged among scholars as the first modern literary lesbian.

When the British Broadcasting Corporation made Lister’s diary into a television drama called “The Secret Diaries of Miss Anne Lister,” Doan said the producers overexaggerated her character to attract viewers, regardless of what the truth actually was.

This type of fabrication, she said, is an example of ancestral genealogy, a practice she said some historians use to find ancestors and characterize — or invent — them.

Doan also discussed a broader “genealogical project,” which she said is a movement away from chronicling history in that it places historical figures in a place that is not always accurate.

“Queer genealogy,” she said, is the ultimate goal of her research because it involves the study of social power structures throughout history as it pertains to people who identify as gay, lesbian, transgender or queer.

Doan’s research mainly focuses on women’s relationships on the Western Front of France during World War I, but she said she places great importance on researching to undercover the lives of homosexual historical figures.

“We need a lot of these people because we have Lesbian and Gay History Month, and how are we going to keep that going if we can’t find any of them?” she said.