More athlete misconduct is upsetting, but Graves' dismissal upholds the integrity of UNC athletics

This one hurts.

Will Graves, our beloved three-point sharpshooter, was one of the few bright spots during last year’s train wreck of a season. But he will never again thrill the Smith Center faithful with his solid defense and silky smooth jumper.

And it’s all his fault.

Just as he did in 2009 when he was suspended for breaking team rules, Graves blew it again. And as much as we wanted to see him succeed, he only has himself to blame for his failure.

Even more important, though, is that Roy Williams did the right thing at a time when our athletic program’s moral compass seems off track: Hold ourselves to a high standard.

Though this incident isn’t connected to the football-related NCAA investigation, an empirical trend has begun to develop. It seems as though stories about UNC’s athletic-related violations, transfers and dismissals have leased permanent spots in the headlines.

So what is going on with our athletic program? Have we allowed success to get to our heads, or are we cursed with bad luck?

We are confident that the vast majority of scholar-athletes at UNC are exemplary, and represent our school well. The dismissal of Graves is another reminder that a few exceptions — who disregard the individual responsibility that is expected of them — can spoil the perception of the bunch.

But coaches can uphold the integrity of the program by acting in a timely and appropriate manner. And so despite the disappointment, dismissing Graves seems like a prime example of leadership as it should be.

It still hurts to watch good players go.

But donning a blue and white jersey is a privilege. And to those athletes who do not understand the great legacy of our program, we say: good riddance.