Online not the answer: Expanded online course offerings are bene?cial, but not the answer to all problems

The UNC system Board of Governors wants to expand online and distance learning class offerings at N.C. public universities. Expanding choices for students is always a good idea, but in the wake of budget cuts, taking learning out of the classroom is not the panacea to the UNC system’s financial woes.

We understand that budgets are getting cut everywhere. New classroom buildings are not really an option in a poor economy when new capital projects just don’t make sense. Putting classes online is a way to continue to meet the need without facility costs.

However, the BOG seems to be envisioning a world in which online programs are equal to if not better than the traditional classroom experience.

This could not be further from the truth.

Online classes might give both traditional and non-traditional students more flexibility, but they are no substitute for the classroom experience. The only way to get real face-to-face discussion with peers and professors is through in-person classes.

Furthermore, online classes actually cost full-time students more money. Financially, it doesn’t make sense for most full-time students who would usually attend all of their classes on campus to enroll online.

If a student is paying tuition and taking 12 credit hours on campus they can’t just sign up for an online class without paying more.

Most online classes are not included in regular tuition and students who take them must pay additional tuition. So even if a student is paying for 15 credit hours and taking 15 credit hours, if three of them are online there will be an extra charge.

This puts students in the position where they are essentially paying for the same class twice. If the BOG wants to use online classes as a way to deal with the lack of space, one way they could start is by eliminating the extra tuition charge for online classes.

Online classes can be a meaningful part of the educational process, but they are not the solution to dealing with budget cuts. Moving more classes online is a palliative measure and not a long-term fix.