Q&A: Alan Palomo of Neon Indian

Neon Indian will perform on Sunday night at the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium as part of Asheville’s Moogfest. Single day tickets are $75.  Courtesy of Lefse records

Neon Indian will perform on Sunday night at the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium as part of Asheville’s Moogfest. Single day tickets are $75. Courtesy of Lefse records

Neon Indian’s Alan Palomo is the musical equivalent of Timothy Leary.

Not that we’re implying he does drugs (although “Should’ve Taken Acid With You” is a song title on 2009’s Psychic Chasms). The real parallel lies in the 22 year old’s penchant for sonic experimentation, from hazy synth to retro samples.

Here, Diversions editor Linnie Greene chats with Palomo as he readies for a set at Asheville’s Moogfest and dishes on all things electronic.

Diversions: How did you end up on the bill for Moogfest?

Alan Palomo: I’d actually hit up Moog quite awhile back just in search of some interesting synthesizer power. I’ve always been a big fan of the chronology of Moog and the things they’ve put out. I’d established a dialogue with them awhile back, and they’ve helped with the live setup of our shows. It seemed like a good opportunity to contribute something back to a company that’s shaped a lot of my electronic sensibilities.

Dive: Have you spent any time in Asheville before?

AP: I was actually in Asheville yesterday. I did a little demonstration for the Slim Phatty [synthesizer] that they put together.

Dive: How have Moog’s instruments impacted your work?

AP: I think a lot of my interest in Moog sort of happened — I’d always heard of the brand and seen pictures of these really esoteric looking modulars. The control and knowledge base that must go into being able to program something like that, and much less create something completely unique and planned out — it was interesting watching the Moog factory. It put a lot of those images into context and gave it a narrative.
It’s really interesting how in the nature of my music the people that invent the instruments have as much to do with the music as the artists implementing them. The way in which electronic music has evolved was so much dictated by whatever technology suddenly became available. That alone has been an influence, because in the music I make I like to archive those sounds.

Dive: What are you most looking forward to at the festival?

AP: I think mainly just a lot of the bands I’m going to get to see. I think a lot of the festivals I play are usually a grab bag of different kinds of genres, and it’s very rare that there’s more than just a couple of artists I want to see. Moogfest is definitely kind of pandering to my nerdier tastes, so I’m pretty excited to get to see bands like Hot Chip and Dam-Funk all at one festival.

Dive: What do you think this festival says about the accessibility of electronic music? Do you think it could’ve happened five years ago?

AP: Now that the technology is more available and that you have these kinds of products out there, these instruments that are a little bit more accessible for people who are looking to get into it, it’s a very unique time where a larger audience base can give this cluster of music an honest chance.

Dive: You also play with VEGA; how do you divide your time and material between Neon Indian and VEGA?

AP: I think that the difference in approach is so far and few between that it makes it pretty easy for me to differentiate those two sounds and to keep them at bay from each other. I think Vega definitely comes from a more premeditated effort and making pop music, whereas Neon Indian is kind of the extension of whatever impulse I feel like following at that moment.

Dive: Neon Indian has gotten a lot of buzz really quickly. How has life changed since you released Psychic Chasms?

AP: I definitely don’t sleep as often, but I don’t know — it’s been a very fun and jarring ride that I just kind of feel like I’m along for. I try to stay in my own head. Most of the time I think paying too much attention to it can really hinder your creativity.

Dive: How did you pick the name of the album?

AP: I think it was — I think anything I could say would be a post-factor rationalization. Looking back on it, given that the nature of the album is so introspective, it’s like a scrapbook or a collage of the past four years for me. Looking at my own headspace, it’s this kind of tangible place and it has this geography to it. “Psychic chasms” just made sense.