Swim lessons motivate kids

brad waters
brad waters

Brad Waters grew up with a love for swimming. Many children do not have this opportunity and he is determined to give them just that

Waters joined a summer swim league when he was six. He has not stopped competing since. During races and practices, he discovered a love for coaching and inspiring others.

“I’ve gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it,” he said.

If Waters becomes Mr. UNC, he plans to offer swim lessons for special needs and underprivileged youth. He will partner with local community groups such as Big Brothers Big Sisters or the Carolina Swim Clinic.

Waters hopes that linking his project to an established organization will keep the opportunity available for years to come.

“Swimming promotes a healthy lifestyle and fantastic exercise,” Waters said. “It gives kids confidence and happiness.”

The lessons would be easy to implement. As a member of the UNC swim team, Waters has a lot of access to volunteers.

Waters plans to target the lessons to reflect each individual’s age and skill level.

“It’s so neat to see how excited they get,” Waters explained. “A few months ago, they were terrified, and now all they want to do is cannon ball into the pool and just splash around.”

Waters adds, “it is important to take it as seriously as possible, but also with a grain of salt because they are just kids.”

These lessons are a rare opportunity for some children in the area. Brad notes, “lower class kids usually do not become competitive swimmers simply because there is no opportunity for them to.”

Waters’ sees his service project as a link. “It’s a cool way to bridge the gap between Carolina and the community around it.”

“The local community does so much for UNC, and we should recognize that by doing what we can to give back,” he said.

Waters is very invested in UNC. He a member of the Accordants, an a cappella group. He is a brother of the Chi Psi fraternity. Most importantly, as an Admissions Ambassador, he introduces prospective students to the campus.
“It’s easy for Brad to talk to people about Carolina and it allows him to give back to his school,” said Matt Waters, Brad’s twin brother and campaign manager.

“Everyone that talks to him will feel welcomed, important, and needed, which is a great quality of his,” said Stephanie Vaughn, a family friend and supporter.

His brother Matt said, “all the candidates are having a lot of fun enjoying Carolina, Homecoming week and the fall.”

Though Waters is having fun, he cannot forget why he decided to run for Mr. UNC in the first place.

“Teaching swim lessons is rewarding and challenging, and there are so many people who do not know how to swim.”