"Turn the Town Pink" event raises money for Comprehensive Cancer Support Program

More than 40 local businesses are partnering with UNC to raise money for cancer research throughout the month of October.

“Turn the Town Pink” is a month-long campaign to raise money for the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Support Program, which supports cancer patients and their families by providing them with nutritional information and other services.

Mary Seagroves, the Lineberger special events coordinator, said this is the event’s second year.

“Last year the campaign raised just under $10,000, so this year we’re hoping to double that and get close to $20,000,” Seagroves said.

She said local businesses will be holding promotions to help raise money, from drink specials to “survivor scarves.”

“Some of the businesses have designated a certain day to do the fundraiser. Others are participating for the month,” Seagroves said.

Toots & Magoo will host an open house from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday for sterling silver Silpada Jewelry, and all proceeds will go to Get Real & Heel.

“Get Real & Heel is a program at UNC that works with breast cancer survivors to help get them back into shape, physically and mentally,” said manager Jennifer Ashdown, who lost her aunt to cancer.

“It increases their rate of survivorship,” she said.

“I wanted to be able to do something meaningful to help breast cancer survivors.”

At the Oct. 30 home football game against the College of William & Mary, Lineberger is holding a “Turn Your Tailgate Pink” contest.

Participants can send in pictures of pink-themed tailgates, and the group with the best-looking tailgate will win catering from the Chapel Hill Restaurant Group for the Nov. 20 game against N.C. State.

And although not a part of the Lineberger campaign, the Aveda Institute will also hold a “Beauty for a Cure” event Wednesday, offering free haircuts, express facials, massages and other services.

Aveda will request donations for their services, the proceeds from which will raise money for the national Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

Aveda’s Assistant Marketing Coordinator Loren Vitter said she hopes to see 715 guests, about 100 more than last year.

She said the school is aiming to raise $5,000 this year.