Two Orange County banks robbed

Police unsure if holdups related

Investigators are looking into the robberies of two Orange County banks, and officials say it is too early to tell if they are related.

Around noon Tuesday, a white man in his late 40s or early 50s entered the CommunityOne Bank at 102 Millstone Drive in Hillsborough and robbed it in front of five or six witnesses, said Hillsborough’s Interim Police Chief Davis Trimmer.

“He walked up to the tellers and told them this was a robbery,” he said. “He displayed no weapon and fled with an undetermined amount of money.”

About four hours later, an unidentified person entered and robbed the BB&T in Chapel Hill at 143 E. Rosemary St.

Chapel Hill police arrived on the scene immediately after the robbery occurred and cordoned off the bank with caution tape until about 6 p.m.

Chapel Hill police investigator Bryan Walker said officials have no reason to believe the two robberies are related.

“We are treating this like an individual case,” he said.

Trimmer said the man who robbed the Hillsborough bank wore a black cloak and was about 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing between 160 and 180 pounds.

“He is described as being short and stocky,” Trimmer said.

BB&T corporate offices could not comment on procedures for dealing with a bank robbery.

“It falls under security,” company spokesman David White said.

Mitch Morgan, the regional branch operations manager for BB&T, said bank officials are awaiting results of the investigation.

“At this point it’s too early for us to really know any details,” he said.

Senior writer Sarah Frier contributed reporting.