Vote needed for debt fees: Support for an up-or-down vote and education on debt-funded projects a welcome sign

Recent controversy over a fee funding renovation of the Student Union highlights the need for awareness and democratic approval of debt servicing.

The project includes an overhaul of part of the Union, including additional study and performance spaces, food options and a “student innovation hub.”

Expansion on our campus is natural and justified. And projects that the University commits to almost always entail incurring debt that must somehow be paid for.

But shouldering students with that burden — without adequate education of what the debt is funding and without an opportunity for an up- or-down vote — is entirely unfair.

Student leaders — specifically Student Body President Hogan Medlin and Student Body Treasurer Dakota Williams — have recognized this, and have done a good job of late advocating for this principle.

The student fee audit committee rejected the proposed increase because of how vague the project’s details were. This is the first committee to evaluate proposed increases.

That decision was overturned by the student fee advisory committee. But the fee was passed only on the condition that students receive an opportunity to vote for the fee.

And — even better — student leaders successfully convinced Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp to pull the fee entirely if the student body was not getting an adequate explanation.

Students are stakeholders in every improvement that takes place on this campus. And they will, in part, foot the bill for long-term improvements that will be enjoyed by future students.

But before students bear the burden of servicing the University’s debt, it is only fair that the utmost effort is made to earn their favor. This is especially critical in a time of tuition increases and a depressed economy.