A 'book-smart' move: Library should move to University Mall permanently

A library relocating to a retail space in a mall is an unconventional measure. But the Chapel Hill Public Library’s option to permanently move to University Mall would provide convenience to Chapel Hill’s citizens, and cut down on expansion costs that taxpayers would have to offset.

The move to University Mall was first going to be temporary while the original building went under construction. But University Mall offered the library a permanent location Nov. 19, and the Chapel Hill Town Council is considering the alternative.

The convenience of the library’s new location is a main advantage of the move. University Mall is about .8 miles from its current location, so library users would not have to travel much farther if the move is made permanent. Chapel Hill Transit also offers five different bus routes that run to University Mall.

The library’s presence at University Mall could draw more attention to the mall itself.

Some argue that the use of retail space for the library could be saved for more profitable entities.

But the library would attract a new clientele to University Mall and increase the traffic to related stores such as Books on the Mall by Borders. After all, the Chapel Hill library is currently the busiest per capita in the state.

Since the library would be more centrally located to grocery stores, gas stations, etc., mall visitors would have the ability to finish their shopping and errands all in one place.

The new location would also save taxpayers $4 million, and possibly more as details of the move unfold. In times in which money is tight for everyone, any chance to save money should not be overlooked.

The new location of the library would be sure to benefit the community’s interest in the library and University Mall, as well as the taxpayers’ wallets.