Art for roads' sake: A new policy to allow artwork on roadways would provide a unique outlet for local artists

Thanks in part to the unique advocacy of a Chapel Hill public official, a change in the N. C. Department of Transportation’s stance to allow artwork along roadways has become a possibility.

It’s certainly an unconventional concept — but one that could shake up the way drivers see Chapel Hill, and could provide an outlet for local artistic endeavors.

Jeffrey York, the public art administrator for Chapel Hill, was one of several advocates from across the state who lobbied for the DOT to develop a policy concerning public art. If approved by the DOT’s Board of Transportation, the policy could enable cities to finally support public works of art along roadways.

According to York, the policy change would allow art that is not funded by the DOT and does not pose a risk to public safety.

Obviously, driver safety is always a concern. No one wants a sculpture falling on their car. But York believes the DOT has addressed these concerns in the policy.

According to York, all art must be out of the Clear Recovery Zone, which is an area 25 feet from the shoulder of the road.

This is an innovative move for Chapel Hill, which already has an art project in the works for US 15-501.

The new public art policy could allow Chapel Hill to showcase local artists’ works. The policy could also attract national artists to North Carolina, with a new way to display art around the town.

Chapel Hill places a unique emphasis on supporting the local artistic community. FRANK, a gallery on Franklin Street, opened this year after receiving a special loan for art businesses from the town.

Creating an outlet for art along our roadways is a novel way to support the artistic community even more.