Board of Aldermen meeting reveals healthy Carrboro budget, plans for community garden

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen agreed to establish a community garden at Tuesday’s meeting.

Katie Allman spoke on the behalf of the Carrboro Parks Project, which has been working with town staff for the past six months to coordinate fundraising and construction of the garden.

“Its a great place to bring the neighborhood together,” Alderman Lydia Lavelle said.

The garden will be located at 400 Broad St. at Baldwin Park.

Rickie White of the Lloyd Street Neighborhood Association said there is a sense of distance between residents who have been there and younger families that have just moved to the area in the last 10 to 15 years.

“We would like to work with both groups and those in other neighborhoods in Carrboro and Chapel Hill,” White said.

Alderman Jacquelyn Gist said she was concerned because only newer residents spoke at the meeting, but the resolution passed unanimously.

The first fundraiser for the project will be held Thursday at Twig, an eco-friendly specialty shop at 99 S. Elliott Road in Chapel Hill.

Town seal to be trademarked

Alderman also passed a resolution to apply for trademark protection of the town seal.

The town became concerned about protection after a Facebook page surfaced using the town’s seal, although the town has no official page.

“That ought to be restricted to the town,” said Town Manager Steve Stewart.

General fund healthier

Later, Aldermen received a report showing a healthy town budget after the 2009-2010 fiscal year ended June 30.

John Frank, partner of the Dixon Hughes accounting firm, presented the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the 2010 fiscal year to the aldermen.

General funds available increased by about $1.2 million, of which permits and fees increased by about $113,000 due to various building fees collected during the year.

Spending in public safety and works went down from the 2009 fiscal year due to fewer capital expenditures. Fire trucks and new fire equipment were purchased in 2009, making it an unusually expensive year, Frank said.

Intergovernmental revenues suffered the largest decrease of $131,00 for the year because the state received less grant money in the 2010 fiscal year. Investment earning also went down due to interest rates being close to zero.

“Overall the town’s fiscal health improved this year,” Frank said. “The outlook for 2011 is less certain.

“Prepare yourself for the challenges ahead in fiscal 2011.”

Contact the City Editor

at citydesk@unc.edu.