Campus voting confuses students

Many redirected from early voting site

Though many students found the voting location confusing Tuesday, voting was actually taking place at the Center for Dramatic Art, not Morehead Planetarium. Once inside, the confusion continued as students had difficulty figuring out which line to stand in.

Some students found voting on Election Day confusing.

Many thought that voting took place at Morehead Planetarium and Science Center. Votes actually are cast at the Center for Dramatic Art and other locations near campus.

“Its not just students,” said Missy Julian-Fox, director of the Visitors’ Center. “It’s been a cross section of people coming yesterday and today. The good news is people are voting.”

Because Morehead Planetarium was a location for early voting, many had assumed they could vote there on Election Day, she said.

“The Morehead Planetarium was an early voting site, but since it is an election day, you have to go to your registered district,” said Deziree Martin, a senior and staff member of theVisitors’ Center.

Lauren Kage, a graduate student, went to the Morehead Planetarium and was redirected to the Center for Dramatic Arts.

“I voted there in 2004 and assumed from frequent passings and signs that it was just going to stay there,” Kage said. “I’m quite embarrassed. I had not realized it was going to change and I’ve been kind of passive this election.”

Junior Stefanie Deleon was also confused about where to go to vote.

“I know some people were trying to get people to vote, and my roommate and I didn’t know where to go,” Deleon said. “People were encouraging others to vote, but not where to go.”

Members of Young Democrats stayed outside of Morehead Planetarium and directed voters to the correct locations.

Vice President of Young Democrats David Murray estimated at least 400 people went to Morehead to try and vote.

“We have been pushing early voting,” said sophomore Zaina Alsous. “Naturally, people associate voting with Election Day and because we have been pushing early voting, they assumed it was here.”

Alsous and sophomore Grayson Bland, also a member of Young Democrats, saw 20 voters in their first ten minutes of waiting outside.

“That’s 20 people in 10 minutes that would have given up and not voted,” Bland said. “If our objective is to get people to vote, we should divert confusion.”

Alsous said she thought it was important that students voted, which is why she decided to direct voters.

“I know people who care and want to have a voice,” she said. “Ultimately they are going to vote because they know they matter.”

“The student vote could swing very important elections in this state.”

For more election coverage, visit the On The Wire blog or follow @dailytarheel on Twitter.

Contact the University Desk at udesk@unc.edu.