Married couple marry love for Baroque music at Bach Festival at Raleigh Moravian Church

Baroque music reaches Raleigh

Both are from Pennsylvania, like soft pretzels and above all, share a passion for music.

Husband and wife Michael Cyzewski and Judith Bruno met through the North Carolina Symphony’s Bryant Competition more than 25 years ago. This Sunday, the couple plays together at the Bach Festival at Raleigh Moravian Church.

Throughout their marriage, Cyzewski, a clarinetist, and Bruno, a soprano singer, have performed together regularly. The couple has taught UNC students in the past.

Bruno has sung at the festival in the past, but this will be Cyzewski’s first time performing there.

“There are certain things that you don’t refuse your spouse,” Cyzewski said. “This is one of them.”

The Bach Festival, a free concert and reception made possible by an all-volunteer effort, celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2009.

Christopher Bickers, president of the Bach Festival, said that though the audience supporting Baroque music is generally small, the supporters are also very loyal.

“Several classical musicians make a point of singing Baroque music,” Bickers said. “I’m hoping that they rejuvenate it.”

Bruno said that she shares this love of Baroque music. She grew up in an Italian family that had a passion for opera and classical music.

But Cyzewski isn’t quite as used to playing the 17th century style of music — the clarinet was not invented until over 100 years later.

“If the clarinet had been invented in Bach’s time, I think he would have been seduced by its melodious sound,” Cyzewski said.

Cyzewski said that he had to transcribe his music from flute and oboe scores. Baroque instrument musicians in the N.C. Symphony helped Cyzewski perfect the nuances indicative of this period, he said.

Both Cyzewski and Bruno said that they are looking forward to collaborating together on Sunday.

“We work together really well,” Cyzewski said. “There is very little friction when we listen to each other and are sensitive to musical expression.”

Their musical relationship has evolved, the couple said.

“I remember times where it hasn’t been quite that congenial,” Bruno said. “But somehow we always work it out.”

The family has a music studio in their house and all of them — including their children — are used to long practice hours.

Cyzewski and Bruno’s son, Michael, has performed previously in the Bach Youth Festival, which is held around January each year.

“Michael has a fine bass voice,” Bickers said.

The Youth Bach Festival attracts local high school talents and even some college-aged students. This year, Cyzewski and Bruno’s daughter Victoria will perform.

This festival is also held at the Moravian Church and focuses on Bach and Baroque music.

Though the concert on Sunday usually focuses solely on Baroque music, the scores will expand to Mozart this year.

This will help better accommodate Cyzewski’s clarinet skills and will help to attract a more varied crowd, Bickers said.

“If we get even 80 people on Sunday, that would be an indication that Baroque is gaining popularity again,” Bickers said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu