New Hillsborough police chief sworn in

Duane Hampton comes from Durham P.D.

Duane Hampton is sworn in as the new Chief of Police in Hillsborough by Mayor Tom Stevens on Monday at the Hillsborough Town Barn.

Before an audience of family, friends and fellow law enforcement officials, Duane Hampton, Hillsborough’s new police chief, pledged an oath to the town to uphold his position with integrity.

Hampton assumed his new role Monday night as he was sworn in during a ceremony at the Town Barn in Hillsborough.

He pledged to faithfully carry out the duties of his new office, a position he said he has been striving for since he began his career in law enforcement.

“I’m proud to be here,” Hampton said. “I’m proud to have the trust from the board and the community.”

Hampton, who left his position as a lieutenant in the Durham Police Department to take this position, said he decided to apply for this position because of Hillsborough’s town history, community involvement and small size.

“It’s the type of city I could see my family becoming involved in,” he said.

Hampton replaced Interim Police Chief Davis Trimmer after he was selected out of about 200 applicants, Mayor Tom Stevens said.

“There were about nine finalists in the application process,” Stevens said. “Chief Hampton received the highest rating out of all. It was clear he would do well here in an executive position. He’s always continuing to improve.”

Town Manager Eric Peterson said he was impressed by Hampton’s humbleness and general knowledge.

“During the application process, I saw that he had a broad spectrum of knowledge in all areas of law enforcement,” Peterson said. “He was like an encyclopedia.”

Captain Ed Sarvis, head of the Criminal Investigation division at the Durham Police Department, said he believes Hampton will excel in his new position.

“I knew they would be making a mistake if they didn’t select him,” Sarvis said.

He said he was impressed by Hampton’s leadership and management skills, as well as his ability to analyze complex computer systems.

“I requested him in my department many times,” Sarvis said.

As his first order of action, Hampton said he plans to learn how the police department operates — its policies, procedures and officers.

“I’m still assessing what we need to do, where we are, where we need to be and how to make these improvements,” he said.

He said he plans to create a greater link between the police department and the residents of the town.

“I want our agency to be a model for other small agencies throughout the state,” Hampton said. “I want our officers to be proud to stand up and say that they work for us.”

He said he has received an impressive reaction from the community already and looks forward to his future on the job.

“There are a lot of people here who believe I can make a difference,” Hampton said. “This is only the beginning.”