New way forward: The BOT provides the right carrots and sticks to encourage the Greeks to do better

The Board of Trustees made the right decision in regard to the recruitment process of Greek organizations.

They chose not to punish all Greek organizations by deferring rush to the spring semester. Instead, they chose to use stricter regulations on chapters and set more effective punishments if these regulations are not followed.

Instead of forcing all the chapters to wait for the spring to rush, deferred rush will be a punishment to chapters that don’t meet certain standards of conduct.

This was a good decision for two reasons.

First, it shows the BOT is monitoring the chapters of the Greek community. The BOT showed that it is committed to eliminating the problems that have been persistent for the past few years.

Secondly, this decision shows the BOT is committed to allowing the chapters a chance to change themselves. The unanimously approved policy incentivizes the chapters to follow the new regulations by proposing stricter punishment options for unruly chapters.

The Greek chapters at UNC are unique entities from the University. This new policy shows that the BOT understands this but wants to give the proper guidance to these groups that are striving to conduct themselves in a better way.

The new regulations will help the Greeks build a better community around the chapters that make an effort to follow the rules.

Additionally, the chapters that fail to promote a positive culture and do not abide by the new rules will suffer real consequences by having their recruitment deferred to the spring. Chapters that are considerably delinquent will have their University recognition revoked.

With the possibility of these new punishments, the BOT is helping the Greek community move toward being a more positive part of this campus.