UNC instructor preaches church sustainability

Encourages churchs to go green

With community gardens, covenants to reduce emissions and new programs to promote local foods, local churches are hopping on the bandwagon and going green.

David McDuffie, a teaching assistant in the religious studies department, talked to a group of students and professors Tuesday in Hanes Hall about some of the ways Christians are “greening religion.”

“There is a lot of desire to do things that are going to be healthy for the environment,” he said.

McDuffie contrasted this movement with a passage from Genesis 1:28 instructing mankind to “fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

He said previous generations have used this passage to justify abuse or neglect of the environment during industrial pursuits, but that many modern Christians are turning away from that view.

He specifically mentioned how The Chapel of the Cross on Franklin Street recently celebrated its second-annual “creation cycle,” when the church holds events and sermons geared toward sustainability.

This year the congregation blessed a chicken and a full-grown horse named John in front of the altar before leading them out of the sanctuary.

The blessings were intended to show the congregation that animals deserve treatment equal to humans, McDuffie said.

Religious studies professor Zlatko Plese said he visited a church in Rome that was having pet sermons as far back as 1999.

“I was sitting in church next to a boa constrictor,” he said.

McDuffie said some churches also participate in “carbon fasts,” where the congregation makes a pact to avoid driving and producing carbon emissions for 40 days during the season of Lent.

“The potential is as yet unrealized but still very much alive,” he said.

Despite the movement’s recent momentum, McDuffie said there is still some tension among more conservative Christians who think “going green” means going liberal.

“Some conservatives consider environmentalism a Trojan horse,” he said.

“Conservatives want to avoid the baggage of environmentalism as part of a liberal agenda.”

But it’s a problem that religious studies professor Randall Styers and others said Christians are going to have to work through to support sustainability in the future.

“I can say this much, it’s going to have to play a major role in the future of Christian thought,” Styers said.

Contact the University Desk at udesk@unc.edu.