Signature increase bill is law, without Medlin support

Hogan Medlin didn’t sign the bill or veto it, which allowed it to pass.

The controversial bill that would increase the number of signatures required to run for student office became law Wednesday night — without the endorsement of Student Body President Hogan Medlin.

Medlin didn’t sign the bill but didn’t veto it either, an action which allows its passage, according to the Student Code.

The bill is a reworking of Title VI of the Code, which governs student elections law. It contains an amendment that increases the number of signatures required for student body president candidates to get on the ballot from 1,000 to 1,250.

This measure was the most controversial in the bill, with Medlin and other members of Student Congress voicing strong opposition.

“I don’t agree with it, and I don’t want my name on it,” said Medlin, who added that he mostly liked the bill, and that Student Congress’ effort at compromise from the original 500-signature increase discouraged him from vetoing the bill.

“It is not enough to veto the whole thing anymore,” he said.

Title II, Article VIII, Section 206 of the Student Code gives the student body president 10 school days to sign or veto the bill. Without executive action, the bill automatically becomes law, under the Code.

Members of Student Congress said the body would probably have overridden a veto from Medlin.

Student Congress passed the law by a near-unanimous vote.

Representative Lee Storrow said he agreed with Medlin in opposing the law.

“I wish Hogan had vetoed the bill,” he said, adding that he opposed the signature increase.

“None of us in (Student) Congress have run for student body president,” he added. “Hogan knows how much effort goes into that. It’s a little foolish to superimpose our beliefs in increasing the signature increase.”

The new signature total was decreased from 1,500 initially to 1,250 in the Oct. 26 meeting of Student Congress.

Student Congress member Kristen Johnson said she advocated a signature increase to reduce the candidate pool and save the student body money.

The Board of Elections will pay each certified candidate $250 for campaigning, as a provision of the newly passed bill.

Greg Strompolos, who ran for student body president last year, said he didn’t think the legislation was useful because, although his campaign barely achieved the 1,000-signature threshold, he said he would have gotten more if it had been required.

“Two-hundred fifty more signatures is just that much more a pain in the ass,” he said.

Deanna Santoro, speaker of Student Congress, said she thought the signature increase was a reasonable compromise, and that Title VI badly needed reform.

“The other Title VI was not usable,” she said. “It caused a lot of problems.”

Among other issues, the old law contradicted itself regarding definitions of different types of campaigning, she said.

Santoro added that she has encouraged Medlin to sponsor legislation to change the law if he believes it is necessary.