Totally tubular: Student government outreach effort has potential

The Executive Branch of student government recently started producing videos for YouTube that give students an update on what is going on in student government. We have criticized student government for its lack of outreach in the past, but when it comes to the videos, the executive branch has a really solid start.

You can watch the videos on the “UNCExecBranch” YouTube channel. Right now there are only two videos, an introduction and Hogan Medlin’s first update, but we look forward to seeing more.

The videos are a good start, but there is still room for improvement.

To begin with, the videos are not easy to find. One of the most logical places for students to find updates is the Executive Branch website. But as of now, there are no links to its YouTube channel from the Executive Branch home page or multimedia tab. A prominently visible link would be helpful.

Another suggestion is to limit update videos to one topic. The first nine-minute update video covers tuition, alcohol abuse, and legislative lobbying plans. All of these topics are relevant to students but the jumbled format is more confusing than it should be. We suggest dividing updates into shorter videos that cover each topic separately to make it easier for students to find the information that interests them.

Finally, student leaders should try to get more creative. Hogan’s sit-down update is informative, but videos need to be entertaining to capture student attention. The broadcast team does plan on producing more creative videos and we hope they will follow through on that plan.

Student government: We applaud your effort and look forward to watching your video outreach efforts improve as you work out the kinks and implement new and creative ideas.