UNC women's basketball team's defense dominates in wins

If defense wins championships, North Carolina women’s basketball is looking like a championship team.

The Tar Heels had shutdown defensive performances in both of their games this weekend, beating Coastal Carolina 93-37 on Friday and Western Carolina 93-36 on Sunday.

UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell said the team’s pressure defense deserved the credit for getting its opponents out of their game plans.

“The pressure really bothered them, especially our guard play,” Hatchell said. “On our traps and double teams, we’re really big with Jessica (Breland) on the top, and on screens Chay (Shegog) jumped out there and had perfect angle and spacing on her traps. It’s hard to pass out of that. Real hard.”

The No. 14 Tar Heels’ play was especially strong in the games’ first halves. They gave up just 10 points in the first half of Friday’s game, and did not allow a Coastal Carolina field goal for the game’s first 15 minutes.

The Chanticleers recorded their first point on a free throw seven minutes into the game. But their first basket only came with 4:57 left in the period. By that time, the Tar Heels had built a 30-point lead.

On Sunday, UNC held the Catamounts scoreless for the game’s first five minutes until Western Carolina’s Emily Clarke hit a three-pointer to get the Catamounts on the board.

Western Carolina did have some success from outside. They made seven three-pointers in the game compared to just six two-point field goals.

Hatchell said the Tar Heels did a good job overall against the Catamounts but allowed too many open threes.

“We went man-to-man most of the time. Even when they went to a spread offense, our weak side was there, which is the most important thing with all the cutters going through,” Hatchell said. “With the halfcourt traps, we had some good ones but had matchup problems at times. They have some kids who can shoot the basketball, and we just couldn’t give them open looks like we were giving them.”

The Tar Heels forced 27 turnovers against the Chanticleers, 18 on steals, while also recording 14 blocks. Coastal Carolina shot just 3-of-30 in the first half and 12-of-66 in the game.

Against Western Carolina, UNC forced 31 turnovers and had 21 steals. The Catamounts shot just 26 percent in both halves.

Senior guard Cetera DeGraffenreid said the turnovers were especially important because of the Tar Heels’ fast-paced offensive style.

“Turnovers lead to points on the other end,” DeGraffenreid said. “We’re a fast-breaking team, so when we get either blocks or steals, then somebody’s out in the fast break to get an open shot.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.