Broken promises: University wrongly uses contour mining

Correction (November 5, 1:13 p.m.): Due to an error, Stewart Boss was incorrectly identified. He is the co-chairman of the Sierra Student Coalition. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the errors.

The University should never promise students one thing and do another. This includes using loopholes to get around a problem.

Last May the University stated they would avoid purchasing coal obtained through surface mining. This came after an Energy Task Force recommended this policy to the school.

But UNC recently signed contracts for three years worth of coal obtained by using contour mining.

Stewart Boss, president of UNC’s Sierra Student Coalition, stated there is little difference between mountaintop removal, a very destructive method of mining, and contour mining. We are inclined to agree.

Contour mining, while not quite as destructive as mountaintop removal, is still within the category of surface mining. Therefore, the University is using a loophole in ordering coal.

The University says that contour mining is better because the soil can be replaced — unlike with mountaintop removal. But there is evidence that restoring the surface to its previous condition is much easier said than done.

But whether you agree with surface mining or not, another issue here is the fact that our school should not be breaking the spirit of its agreement: to not support mining practices which damage the earth’s surface.

If it is not feasible to purchase coal from deep-mining companies due to the increase in price, then the University should make students aware of the situation and focus on working toward ways to make the change feasible — not make false promises.

Rejecting the recommendations by the Energy Task Force and buying the surface-mined coal would have been preferable to the University’s duplicity. Instead, the University has insulted its students.

UNC should stick to the commitments it makes. If it is unable to fulfill a commitment, it should work with the students to reach that goal, rather than make empty promises.