Visitors Bureau will offer deals to troops

Campaign focus is on Fort Bragg

Local businesses are joining in an effort to draw returning soldiers to Orange County for the holidays.

“Where military personnel in Fayetteville go for R&R,” is a campaign established by the Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau.

The campaign is aimed at the more than 30,000 troops stationed at Fort Bragg, including soldiers of the 4th Brigade Combat Team from Afghanistan. The military base is located an hour and a half from Chapel Hill.

“We saw this as a way to tap into a market we had never used before and to welcome home our troops,” said Patty Griffin, spokeswoman for the visitors bureau.

Griffin said the idea came to members of the bureau while reading a news story about the return of the 4th Brigade.

“We saw this as an opportunity to promote the area, and we have many great holiday events already,” Griffin said.

Soldiers who are interested in the program can call a toll-free number to receive a free information packet about special rates at local hotels, shops, businesses and theaters for military personnel.

The five-week radio and print campaign will cost the bureau $7,500.

Annette Girman, owner of Studio 91 Fine Art Gallery and Wine Lounge, said she learned about the campaign from an e-mail she received and immediately replied.

“I wanted to do this because they sacrifice an awful lot for us,” Girman said. “I wanted to give them an opportunity to enjoy time with their family or spouse.”

She said the gallery will be offering a discount to military personnel during the holiday season.

Shavonda Funderburk, director of sales at the Sheraton of Chapel Hill, said the hotel was interested in participating as soon as officials heard of the campaign and will also offer discounts.

“We want to show our support and that we appreciate what they do for us,” Funderburk said.

The visitors bureau launched another campaign in August to attract attendees of the 26th Annual N.C. Pride Parade and Festival, held in Durham and Raleigh.

The current campaign will be advertised in the Paraglide and the Fayetteville Observer newspapers.

The visitors bureau has hired a public relations specialist who will be organizing radio promotions that offer chances to win basketball tickets and other merchandise.

“We are spending a conservative amount, so even if we only capture a small percentage of the base we can be successful,” Griffin said.